Monday, May 18, 2009

Wage & Hour Vs. Rainbow Of Hope

It has come to our attention that 4 former employees of Rainbow Of Hope were not paid for their accrued vacation time. In fact, 3 of the 4 received their final paychecks with an unprofessional blotch of White-Out covering the earned vacation time. First, an employer may not alter a pay stub in any such way.

Secondly, what obligation does an employer have to pay a terminating employee for accrued but unused vacation time? In New Jersey, according to the Fox Rothschild Employment Law Firm, under Botany Mills v. Textile Workers, an old and infrequently cited court decision, the answer is "all of it," - no buts about it.

It's our sincere hope that Cape Counseling Services will amend this "possible oversight" before this matter goes before a public court.


1 comment:

  1. What are my options to the following. After 19 and a half years working for the same company, I was terminated. Reasons given reductions in workforce due to the economy and damage claims. I was the oldest worker in my division employed by them, they did not touch any of the other 6 or so workers who have been there but 3 months to 7 years. I was terminated on June 26th, 2009 but just weeks before I put in for vacation from July 1st thru the 8th, in which I was told it should be no problem. So as the vacation period neared they fire me 5 days before taking it. I had already made plans to go to Florida. I went on my unpaid vacation as planned but not enjoying it at all. I tried to do the best I could of the situation. Was miserable through the entire period, worst time of my life. Like that empty hollow pain in the pit of your stomach and you're not able to do anything type of deal. There should be laws in place to protect people from situations such as this. Remember before we are branded workers and stereotyped into these can't win senarios, we are first human beings with feelings and families. I wonder why companies continue to get away with this abuse time after time. I had 2 more weeks vacation pay accrued to which I was told I lost them, I reside in the state of New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete